Husthwaite School News
It hard to believe that we are now in the final few weeks of yet another academic year and whilst we have been very busy, there is still lots to do and lots to look forward to.
Events that have occurred at school recently include:
• The school hockey team won the cluster quick sticks hockey competition and represented the school in the final at Thirsk achieving 3rd place. A fantastic effort given that 68 schools started out in the competition.
• Children were treated to a comic opera performance in the village hall with professional musicians. It was a truly amazing and surreal experience, but thoroughly enjoyed by all the children. It is lovely being able to give the children the opportunity to experience live theatre.
• A non-uniform/bun day in aid of the Nepal Earthquake Appeal was organised by pupils. A target of raising a minimum of £100 was set and although not yet fully counted, it looks like we will have well and truly passed the target for this worthwhile cause.
• Representatives from the Churches continue to visit school for the ‘Open The Book' assemblies which the children enjoy. A treat for one of the assemblies this month was a visit by Mrs Arrowsmith with her pet lambs and goslings.
• For the first time an enterprise day has been held in school. Each class has been given £50 by the Bank of Bainbridge as a start-up loan in order for them to make money (raise funds for the school). This is a fantastic opportunity for children to experience real life business.
• Miss Goodchild has been working with Class 3 to develop the wildlife area to include planting seeds to attract wildlife, building bug hotels and we hope to have a pond installed shortly.
• Mrs Heward and Mrs Dixon have met with the School Council to carry out an environmental review as part of the work towards the Eco Schools Silver Award.
• This term's topic has been the Stone Age - Years 2, 3 and 4 visited the Yorkshire Museum to discover more about this period and participate in workshops. Class 3 held a Stone Age day at school which entailed being outdoors all day recreating a day in the life of stone age people including lighting a camp fire.
• Class 1 and the nursery welcomed some new faces to their monthly toddler morning and look forward to seeing their visitors again on 8th June.
• Auditions have taken place for the KS2 end of term production ‘Let Loose' - based on a residential trip - which sounds very exciting. Members of the community are invited to watch the dress rehearsal on Tuesday 30 June at 9.15am - please phone the school office to reserve your seat.
Summer term is the traditional time of year for sports day and once again we shall be holding a sports week with daily activities including the traditional sports day as well as a heptathlon and games day. Children enjoy the opportunity to try out different sports and every child from nursery to Y6 are able to compete. It is a great opportunity for the school to work together and parents are invited to come into school on some of the days to spectate and encourage. This year we will be holding a sponsored fun run on the afternoon of Wednesday 24th June (which can also include parents/grandparents) followed by a BBQ - fingers crossed for dry and warm weather!
Mr Warriner, our sports coach, and has been running a very popular lunchtime athletics club and after school fun and fitness club. Cluster sport events include the traditional cricket, rounders and athletics.
Children in Year 6 will be starting their transition to their next school as part of the process to prepare them for the next stage in their education. Likewise, children in school will also encounter some transition time to help them prepare for the new class in September.
As we look ahead to the new academic year, we are taking names for September Nursery starters. If you would like your child's name to be put on our nursery list please contact the school office. We are currently able to take children from the start of the term in which they turn 3.
Reminders & Diary Dates:
1st June School re-opens
8th June Toddler morning 9-11am - all welcome
22nd-26th June Sports week
24th June Sponsored Fun Run followed by BBQ
30th June KS2 dress rehearsal - 9.15 am
3rd July Toddler morning 9-11 am - all welcome
16th July Y6 leavers service 10.00 am at St Nicholas Church, Husthwaite
17th July School closes for summer
7th September Staff training day
8th September School opens autumn term