School & Nursery News
Spring is a lovely term as we welcome the warmer weather and brighter days - so much more pleasant for the children at playtimes - and school life continues to be busy. The large grounds which we are fortunate to have are turning into a blaze of colour as the hundreds of spring bulbs children planted 2 years ago start to flower.
This term children have:
- Participated in a family service at Husthwaite Church
- Worked with a creative writer as part of Shandy Hall's Voice from the Pulpit project
- Had a visit from the recycling team at Hambleton District Council as part of our keen to be green topic
- Competed in the District cross country tournament (Isla McClanachan will represent school at the County tournament)
- Played in the cluster football and netball tournaments - the netball team winning 8 out of 9 games and football winning 4, drawing 3 and losing 2
- Discovered how biscuits differ, their ingredients, the packaging and appeal as part of a D&T project
- Explored our locality, where we are in relation to the rest of the country and learned the difference between the British Isles, United Kingdom and Great Britain.
- Made pancakes as part of their understanding of Shrove Tuesday and the start of Lent
- Dressed in pyjamas and brought their favourite bedtime story to school for World Book Day.
- Played dominoes with the Orchard Club
- Participated in sporting activities at the Village recreational park dressed as their favourite sportsperson for Sport Relief
- Invited parents and other female family members and friends to join them in a special Mother's Day Lunch
- Class 1 visited the Arrowsmith's Farm in Raskelf as part of their life-cycles topic.
Our school cook, Mrs McCallum, has served some delicious meals this term and every 3rd Wednesday offers a World Food Menu. So far children have sampled delights from Russia (chicken Kiev), China (chow mein), France (Croque Monsieur) and Spain (paella). On 28th March children invited mums/grandmas/aunties to a special Mother's Day Lunch - Mrs McCallum was very busy as she cooked for over 100 people and we had to offer two sittings to accommodate everyone!
Mrs Bainbridge has continued to work with a group of Y6 children on level 6 SATs papers. All children in Y6 have also been working on the new SPAG (spelling, punctuation and grammar) SATs papers.
The school is delighted to have received a donation from Hunters Estate Agents as sponsorship towards purchasing its first I-pad. The recommended apps, only available on I-tunes, have been shown to have a positive impact on children's education. Being able to quantify progress in pupil's learning allowed the School to make the decision to make a financial commitment and kick-start investment in this new technology. Further sponsorship has recently been received from DBS Bookkeeping which will allow the school to purchase its next I-pad.
A Bags2School collection will take place on 20th May. Unwanted items of clothes, handbags, shoes, belts and soft toys can all be brought to school in dustbin bags day before collection. We receive money on the weight of items collected. All clothing collected by Bag2School is sold to importers and wholesalers in many countries of Eastern and Western Europe, Africa and Asia. A great recycling facility that raises funds and helps others.
KEEP THE DATE! This year the school turns 40. To celebrate this milestone we shall be holding a school 40th birthday party on Friday 18th July (3.30-6.30pm) - past and present pupils and their families are welcome to attend.
Toddler drop-in sessions continue for children of pre-school age to join our Foundation Stage class with their parent/guardian/childminder for a taste early years provision. These sessions are free and run from 9.15-11.30 am once a month. We provide quality early years provision for children aged from 3 years in our teacher-led educational setting. Full day care is available for 3-11 year olds (including holidays) through our links with an out of school club provider.
4th April: 2.45pm school closes for Easter
22nd April: Staff training day
23rd April: School opens for summer term
25th April: 9.15 am Easter service at school
1st May: Toddler morning 9.15-11.30am (all welcome)
20th May: 9.00 am Bags2School collection
18th July: School's 40th birthday celebrations.